When I came across the topic ChatGPT (Chat Generative Pre-Trained Transformer), I was astonished! I could not resist exploring more about it, but let me share some of the cool features of ChatGPT which might be useful in our day-to-day life. I’m not going to canvass about this bot, as I would just like to share its amazing features.
A little history on ChatGPT…
ChatGPT is an AI chatbot developed by OpenAI which was first released on November 30, 2022 and then the stable release was done on March 14, 2023. ChatGPT is a sibling model to InstructGPT, which is trained to follow instructions in a prompt and provide a detailed response. This is trained in a conversational way using Supervised Learning as well as Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback (RLHF), using the same methods as InstructGPT, but with slight differences in the data collection setup. ChatGPT is fine-tuned from a model in the GPT-4 series, which finished training in early 2022. ChatGPT and GPT-4 were trained on an Azure AI supercomputing infrastructure and is a multimodal large language model. This newest model (GPT-4) is available for paid subscribers on a limited basis.
ChatGPT URL: https://chat.openai.com/auth/login
What I liked!!
· ChatGPT can write and debug computer programs, compose music, teleplays, fairy tales, and student essays; answer test questions write poetry and song lyrics & emulate a Linux system; simulate an entire chat room; play games like tic-tac-toe; and simulate an ATM. ChatGPT’s training data includes man pages and information about Internet phenomena and programming languages, such as bulletin board systems and the Python programming language.
· ChatGPT remembers previous prompts given to it in the same conversation; journalists have suggested that this will allow ChatGPT to be used as a personalized therapist. To prevent offensive outputs from being presented to and produced from ChatGPT, queries are filtered through OpenAI’s company-wide moderation API
· Ability to adapt to different contexts and situations allows it to be applied in various use cases across several industries, like healthcare, retail, education, marketing etc.,
· Works best in the English language
Sneak Peek on the Industrial Uses…
There is no shortage of opportunities for businesses to integrate ChatGPT into their everyday workflows and applications. Despite certain existing limitations, Chabot is able to help businesses grow from their bottom line and enhance experiences for their customers. A few major industries that can potentially use ChatGPT are — banking, sales & marketing, healthcare, software development, media & entertainment. A couple of them are explained in detail below.
There are numerous applications of AI in Healthcare. Conversational AI in particular is highly effective in making healthcare processes more efficient and patient-friendly. Here are some examples of how that is made possible:
1) Medical Transcription utilizes speech-to-text technology driven by AI and with ChatGPT in the mix, the transcripts can become far more comprehensive and precise, enabling faster clinical decision-making and reporting.
2) Patient Triage driven by ChatGPT can be utilized by physicians for expedited diagnoses. By feeding the patient’s vitals and symptoms to the AI, a potential diagnosis followed by the suggested next treatment steps can be extracted.
3) ChatGPT-integrated patient-facing assistants can be used for scheduling appointments with doctors, helping those not medically inclined to get relevant information about their ailments instantly, and providing information about nearby treatment centers. Monitoring of vitals through the said application can then help alert doctors about potential emergency cases through a conversational doctor-facing chatbot.
4) Summarization of patient records with ChatGPT can assist physicians in getting a holistic view of the patient’s family medical history, for properly defining insurance coverage.
Amidst the era of industry-wide mass layoffs, software developers may find that ChatGPT could be adding to the problem. But the truth is that with the clever use of this AI, it can actually make you a better programmer at the end of the day. This is how:
1) Learning to code in any language has become a whole lot easier with assistance from ChatGPT. It produces pieces of code, following virtually any user prompt for any programming language in the market today. This gives accurate syntactical feedback as well as suggests better ways to code based on popular data structures and algorithms.
2) Quality Assurance Automation: In the context of programming, software Quality Assurance (QA) is an often underestimated yet extremely important aspect. Based on this testing article, ChatGPT was able to develop test scenarios and test cases for assessing the effectiveness of a login page’s password recovery. Moreover, it could also write an automation script to test the scenarios using Java and Selenium.
3) ChatGPT can also be used to create, maintain and consume system design documentation. You can build system architecture from scratch for developing your software product with this conversational AI.
Areas that could have been improved:
· ChatGPT suffers from multiple limitations. OpenAI acknowledged that ChatGPT “sometimes writes plausible-sounding but incorrect or nonsensical answers”. This behavior is common to large large language models, and is called Artificial Intelligence Hallucination.
· ChatGPT has limited knowledge of events that occurred after 2021. According to the BBC, as of December 2022, ChatGPT is not allowed to “express political opinions or engage in political activism”. Yet, research suggests that ChatGPT exhibits a pro-environmental, left-libertarian orientation when prompted to take a stance on political statements from two established voting advice applications.
· Works best in English but is also able to function in some other languages, to varying degrees of success
How to Use?
· Launch the ChatGPT url — https://chat.openai.com/auth/login
· Click on Sign Up button if you are a first time users
· Provide necessary information such as Email Address, Phone number,
· User will be prompted for email and phone number verification. Once verified, you will be prompted with few dialog boxes so click on ‘Next’ and then ‘Done’
· I hope you are now ready to start your experience with ChatGPT
Here is a sample of the chat that I have posted below just for your reference. I tried asking couple of questions with different combinations to see how the conversation goes and to evaluate the responses. I felt it’s pretty good in giving respective responses. But the application is not stable enough to continue with the conversation after we get an error response.
I would like to close with a quote “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.”, said Joseph Addison. Let’s all read, gain and share knowledge!